Tuesday 6 January 2009

Secret Diary Actress Shrugs Off Contraversy

Starring as an upscale prostitute on Showtime’s “Secret Diary of a Call Girl,” British actress Billie Piper finds she’s still immersed in controversy, even as the show is going into its second season Jan. 18. “Some people hate me for doing this show and are disgusted that I would even consider it, and these are my friends,” she tells us. “Other people often come up to me and say that they love the book and it’s great to finally see it on screen. Certainly people in the UK are used to seeing me playing teenagers or women from the Jane Austin time so to suddenly step out and play this part, I think, in a way, it’s offended a few people.”
Despite any criticism, Piper, who recently became a mom for the first time, says it’s still important for her as an actress to pick parts that satisfy her creatively. “I’m not sure that just because I’m a mum, I’m suddenly going to lose my passion for controversial pieces,” she notes. “As much as it’s nice to have the popularity vote, at the same time, you have to do what satisfies you professionally. Part of being an actor is exploring people’s lives and different stories. You can’t please everyone. It’s a losing battle. And I don’t really want to. I want to do things that make me feel interested.”

No comments: